Just My Random Thoughts

Monday, February 27, 2006

Not the best weekend I've had....

What should have been a good weekend went downhill in a hurry.

I was signed up as the third trainer for a Platform Tent Camping class. The lead trainer had just transistioned to the Experienced level but had done a number of these classes and knew the drill. The second trainer is one of the most experienced outdoor trainers we have and I've always enjoyed working with her. The weather forecast was cool but clear. So far, so good.

Well, the weatherman lied. It wasn't just cool, it got cold - like 34 degrees cold - and the rain POURED all day Saturday. To make matters worse, the class had 23 participants which is a bit large for that particular workshop. On the plus side, the trainers and all the participants agreed that we could still have a good time and get everything done, which we did. But this was the first time I've ever had trouble sleeping at camp because I was uncomfortably cold. And the cold made my knees and back really hurt. The weather on Sunday was beautiful, but by the time I got home and unloaded all I wanted to do was take some Alleve and sleep. And that's all I did for the rest of the day.

Today my legs are still sore and I'm fighting some sinus trouble, but I feel better now than I did first thing this morning.

A lot of the participants mentioned the weather in their evaluations, but they understood the situation and made the best of it. Only one eval was negative and his/her complaints were so much about the weather as the it was the Experiential Learning Cycle system we use in the classes. He/she just didn't get it. (There were three men in the class.) We figure this is someone who does everything his/herself insteading of leading the girls to do it and then burns out in two or three years. Since the eval was anonymous, we can't even contact him/her to discuss the issues.

When I got home I found out that Don Knotts had died. Granted he played only one character, but he played that character perfectly, and in several venues. I was always partial to him because he was from Morgantown, WV. According to my dad's senior yearbook, Don was Sophomore class president - and already looked like Barney Fife at the age of 16. I think it was neat that Andy Griffith was with Don and his family when Don died.

The deaths of Darren McGavin and Dennis Weaver this weekend were sad, but I'll miss Don Knotts the most.

Oh, one more thing. The daffodils and cherry trees are blooming and the Braves are in Spring Training. Spring is in the air. General Beauregard Lee was right and Puxatawny Phil just doesn't understand the Southern climate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home