Just My Random Thoughts

Monday, November 14, 2005

Workplace musing

I've been unhappy with my job for some time and I thought it was because I was bored. I've been doing the same thing for 7 years and there's no challenge to it any more.

Now I'm thinking there may be another reason for my dissatisfaction. I think it may be due more to the lack of respect. As a contractor, I'm treated like something less than human by AT&T even though they rely quite heavily on contract workers. The agency that actually pays me has been stalling for five months on giving me a raise. Prior to this past June, the less-than-I-deserve pay scale was at lease partially balanced by the respect I got from my superiors. I'm good at what I do, and they knew it and they depended on me.

Todd resigned five years ago. Pervis retired about three years ago. Jim was laid off in June. The people who are left don't care diddly about me or what I do. They think my work is so simple that anyone could do it. When the day comes that I leave (and I am looking for another job) they are going to discover that they have no one left who knows how to do everything I do.

Seven years of exceeding expectations doesn't amount to squat here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home