Just My Random Thoughts

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

While I recovered from surgery,

my first grandchild decided to make her grand entrance two weeks early. My daughter gave birth to a beautiful little girl on September 28. Whether or not I was physically able to travel, I went. We flew up the day she was born and stayed for a week to help out and start spoiling her. I requested wheelchairs in the airports and really tried to get plenty of rest and not lift anything heavy. I still did way too much and paid for it by prolonging the pain, but it was worth it.

Little Alice has given us cause for concern. Like many other babies, she was jaundiced at first. Being a premie she had some trouble nursing which made the jaundice worse but she started eating just fine and the jaundice cleared up once we found a nipple shield.

Then a blood test indicated that Alice had inherited the gene for cystic fibrosis from someone. We aren't sure where that came from. It's a recessive gene so she has to get it from both parents to actually have cystic fibrosis. They tried to run a sweat test to determine her situation, but she didn't sweat enough to do it so they will try again later.

She's also had some "trouble" with bowel movements. I put that in quotes because I'm of the opinion that it isn't necessary to have a movement every day. She went to the doctor yesterday and he more or less agreed with me.

Meanwhile, her Uncle Jacob gave her stuffed Snoopy and Woodstock dolls that are bigger than she is, but she looks SO cute lying between them. Uncle Michael and Aunt Sarah gave her Braves clothing including a pink onesie. I've told her Grandpa Chaffin that he needs to build a play house for her to use when she comes to Georgia to visit. We'll see what happens.

She's a beautiful little girl and leaving her to come home was incredibly difficult.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home