Just My Random Thoughts

Friday, November 11, 2005

Veterans' Day

Today is Veterans' Day. At the 11th minute of the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, hostilities between the Allies and Germany ended with an armistice. Seven months later the Treaty of Versailles officially ended World War I. I heard on the radio a little while ago that "they" estimate 50 veterans of WWI are still alive.

Atlanta is home to the largest Veterans' Day parade in the country. When I worked in Midtown, I could watch it. The reviewing stand sat in front of our building. There were few if any floats. Mostly veterans' groups and ROTC squads, military vehicles, bands, and dignitaries riding in Corvettes, but I enjoyed it. Part of the appeal was the good-sized crowd who turned out for it. It's nice to know that a lot of people still believe in our country and our military.

I always spend part of Veterans' Day remembering the members of my family who have served or are serving in the military. My dad, two of his brothers, Mom's brother and one of her cousins served in WWII. One of my cousins went to Viet Nam. A nephew is currently in the Air Force.

A lot of people don't like the National Anthem. They say it's too hard to sing. The melody is from an old drinking song. It seems to me that if drunks can sing it, sober people shouldn't have that much trouble with it. At any rate, I get choked up almost every time I sing it and I get upset when it's butchered at sporting events. I believe in this country and its founding principles. I think our constitution is a masterpiece of political writing. I worry about our future. It seems like our freedoms are being taken from us one by one. I wonder what will happen next. But there's no other country on earth where I'd rather live.

Thank you to everyone who has served in the military. And thank you to their families for the sacrifices you have made.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home