Just My Random Thoughts

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

TO COMCAST

This is the saga of our experience with Comcast phone and internet. It is also the cancellation letter that accompanied the equipment we returned to them.
On February 10 I went online to see about modifying our Comcast service. I had three things in mind: upgrading to digital cable with one converter box, adding local and long distance phone service, and adding internet service. I eventually found my way to an online chat with Nadia. I explained what I wanted and we scheduled installation for Saturday, February 21 between 8 and 11 am.

At 12:30 pm on the 21st, I called 1-800-COMCAST and asked where the technician was. I was told we had rescheduled the appointment for Tuesday, February 24. Neither my husband nor I talked to anyone about rescheduling, and if we had it would NOT have been for the 24th as we would not be available that day.

That’s one.

Our only option at that point was to reschedule for Saturday, February 28th, between 8 and 11 am and the technician would call when he was on the way to our house. The technician arrived around 9. He did not call when he was on his way. I can overlook that mistake, but his work order said nothing about upgrading the cable service and he had no converter boxes with him.

That’s two.

He got the internet service working and got a dial tone working. After we made sure the phone worked with our alarm system he left. My husband picked up his laptop and booted – and couldn’t get online. Your technician had disconnected our WiFi router.

That’s three.

After looking around a bit more, I discovered that he had also walked off with one of my USB cables.

That’s four.

While we were out on Sunday afternoon, a Miss Manning from Comcast left a message asking that we call her to let her know how the installation went. When I called the number she left, I got a recording saying that number had been disconnected.

That’s five.

Monday she called again and talked to my husband. When he told her that the technician had disconnected our WiFi router, she replied that we had not ordered WiFi and we would have to pay an additional $150 to have our own router reconnected.

That’s six.

My husband told Miss Manning that she would have to talk to me about the digital cable upgrade. Like my husband, I expressed my dissatisfaction with the idea of paying Comcast to reconnect my router and she finally agreed to waive the installation fees for phone and internet hookup. I will NOT pay $150 for my own equipment to be hooked up again. He had no business disconnecting it in the first place. Her attitude was rude at best and totally unacceptable for someone in a position to deal with customers.

That’s seven.

Later that day my husband discovered that we had no dial tone and no internet service.

That’s eight.

He called 1-800-COMCAST on his cell phone and explained the problem. The Comcast employee asked him what antivirus software we were using. When he told her it was Norton 360, she said our security settings were too high. In order to use Comcast internet service we would have to put them on the lowest setting making our computer vulnerable.

That’s nine.

Forget three strikes and you’re out. That’s three up, three down, inning’s over, and you lose.
Cancel all our Comcast services, including cable, effective immediately. That shouldn’t be too hard to do since the phone and internet have been dead since March 2nd. Don’t even THINK about charging us any kind of cancellation fee. After everything you’ve done wrong since the 11th of February, you have no right to demand anything from us. We did our part and then some. We are cancelling because you were unable to provide the agreed upon services.
We are enclosing this letter with one (1) cable modem, and 47’ of coax cable that was installed on the 28th, as well as one (1) converter box that arrived on 03/05/09 via UPS.

Sincerely,

One VERY Dissatisfied FORMER Customer

Our satellite dish was installed on Saturday and we are having all kinds of fun discovering what it has to offer. And we've had no problems with phone or internet since returning to the AT&T/Bellsouth fold.

3 Comments:

  • I am terribly sorry for the troubles we have caused. Obviously, there are many issues that we need to address based on your post.

    I hope that you will give us another chance. I am willing to reach out to my contacts to make things right for you.

    If you are not willing to give us another chance, I will understand. On the other hand, I hope that you will allow us to investigate the problems you experienced so that we may prevent them from happening in the future. If it is not so much of a trouble, will you please provide the phone number associated with the account?

    Thanks in advance,

    Mark Casem
    Comcast Corp.
    National Customer Operations
    We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

    By Blogger ComcastCares1, at March 24, 2009 12:42 PM  

  • My convo with Charter when we dropped them was along the lines of:
    "And may I ask why you are canceling your service today?"

    "Because you are charging me over $100 a month for crappy service!"

    "Alright. I'll transfer you over to our cancellation team."

    By Blogger MKCoehoorn, at March 24, 2009 1:11 PM  

  • When we return the modem, etc. a copy of the letter - with our account number - will be in the box.

    But we won't be going back to Comcast any time soon.

    By Blogger KathyGS, at March 24, 2009 3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home