Just My Random Thoughts

Monday, December 25, 2006

High Church

Yesterday, Campus combined the two 8:30 services. In essence we had a contemporary service without the praise team. Very casual, relaxed, non-threatening, all the things churches of Christ are trying to be today.

Last night we attended a Christmas Eve service with the Collins family at their Presbyterian church. When we arrived, the auditorium was lit only by candles. Soon the organist started playing a half hour or so of classical music. Then the lights came up and the liturgist read a piece to set the tone for the service. That was followed by a processional. Everyone in the processional was wearing robes or suit & tie. The service included lovely music, responsive prayers, a short message, and communion. Everyone did their part right on cue and it went without a hitch.

As I left, I felt very satisfied. Slowly I came to the realization that what I had just witnessed left me thinking upward. And what we had done that morning left me feeling rather hollow.

So what is the point of worship? It's not entertainment. It's not emotion. It's a statement that God is God, The Creator, The Savior, omnipresent, omnipotent, and omnicient. God is not casual and relaxed. And I don't believe we should be casual and relaxed about Him. Worship should leave us more aware of how high, how great, how powerful He is, and how magnificient that He should care about us enough to die for us. Worship should leave us thinking upward. If we are thinking upward, the outward will automatically follow.

Yes, we want people to be comfortable in worship regardless of where they are in their spiritual walk, but if we give the impression that they are already ok they have no reason to look higher.

I'm not saying we need organs and robes and dramatics. I'm saying we need to take God seriously and acknowledge that we are struggling to be what we ought to be. We ought to be offering our best to God and praying for His mercy. I'm afraid instead we've decided that we are ok as is because God's grace will take care of us. We've lost the reason for worship.

I am a high church person. And I miss it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home