Just My Random Thoughts

Monday, May 22, 2006

Dark Journey, Deep Grace: Jeffrey Dahmer's Story of Faith by Roy Ratcliff, Lindy Adams

I read Roy Ratcliff's book this weekend. It's very moving and provides serious food for thought. The author says he debated whether or not to write it, but I'm glad he did.

I do take issue with one aspect of the book. Brother Ratcliff is critical of people who ask if Jeffrey Dahmer's conversion was sincere. I understand his point and he's right on one level, but I can't help but remember my reaction when I heard the Jeffery had been baptized. I, too, asked if he was sincere, but not from the point of doubting he was incapable of repentance. I asked because of my own doubt. If he wasn't sincere, the issue was dead. But if he was sincere, and God can forgive him, then there's hope for me.

What impressed me most was the wisdom Brother Ratcliff displayed in working with Jeffrey. He describes himself down as naive, but Jeffrey asked some questions I would have trouble answering satisfactorily. I think he showed great insight into what Jeffrey was really asking. I feel good about my daughter being part of his home congregation. She can ask some difficult questions, and I now know there is someone there who can help her find the answers.

And I hope Jeffrey's father and brother can find some peace. I know Jeffrey has found his.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home