Just My Random Thoughts

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Let's revive a memory.

I was reading John Alan Turner's blog and he posed a questions that brought forth a memory. The question concerned the core values that we want to instill in our children. This was my contribution to the discussion.

Don’t argue over biscuits.

When my children were young a dear older lady, Mrs. Oliver, told me about her first day of marriage. They got up before dawn, as farmers are prone to do, and he headed outside to do whatever it is farmers do before breakfast while she started cooking. Or rather, hauled in the wood to heat the stove so she could start cooking.

Anyway, by the time he returned she had laid out a spread that would put Shoney’s breakfast bar to shame - including freshly baked bread! He washed his hands, sat down, looked it over, and asked, “Where are the biscuits?”

She replied, “I didn’t bake biscuits. I baked bread.”

He commented, “I’ve had biscuits for breakfast every day for as long as I can remember.”

Mrs. Oliver was young at the time, but she had already learned that biscuits aren’t worth a battle. She got up and baked biscuits. And continued to bake biscuits every morning until her beloved husband died.

It took many years for me to get the hang of it, but I have finally learned to save my arguing for things that really matter. And biscuits don’t matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home